RSS

In Memory of Kate Kelly a pioneer in ADD/ADHD…brain injury

28 Sep

Kate Kelly, a pioneer in ADD/ADHD brain dysfunction passed away.  She devoted her life, determined and committed educating with on-line videos, programs and co-authoring a best seller You Mean I’m Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?

She emphasized: how, why and what hurts, what works, and what doesn’t. Kate co-authored with Peggy Romundo, You Mean I’m Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!

Because I have recently become active in the on-line educational community attempting to leave a better understanding in brain injury I didn’t have the opportunity to meet Kate or spend much time outside my blog.  This is all very new to me, but I’ve been inspired by others from the ADD/ADHD community.

My connection and readers of my blog are most familiar with another pioneer and inspiring person Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, MCC, SCAC from http://addandsomuchmore.wordpress.com   who visits my site and actively leaves educational comments and insight.  I hope to meet Madelyn in the future.  Her ideas to help resolve many ADHD problems overlap with traumatic brain injury and other diagnosis with brain dysfunction.

Kate’s work is ongoing and her legacy is utmost importance to those who struggle with similar situations and conditions.  I look forward to the day her work overlaps with the brain injury community.  Her loving family and friends enjoyed her life.  I will cherish her works and help link her work to brain injury.

Through Kate’s life experiences and work she helps those who were misunderstood through their daily struggles and provides them support, education, and an opportunity to live an ideal life. Her book You Mean I’m Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!, is full of humor and facts about ADD/ADHD. If you haven’t read this bestseller, please do so.

Kate’s work will forever be cherished.  She’ll be sorely missed, but her work is very much alive!

Condolences to Kate’s amazing and loving family.

Edie Flickinger

Tags: , , , ,

18 responses to “In Memory of Kate Kelly a pioneer in ADD/ADHD…brain injury

1. Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, MCC, SCAC

September 29, 2012 at 4:38 am

Thank you. I am touched beyong words.

Ironic, isn’t it, that we who struggle sometimes for basic functional imperatives, lead the way in empathy and heart-centered reaching out? We have MUCH to teach those who look at us as if we are the ones in need of learning.

The world will be healed when we are ALL finally willing to give what we can and able to take what we need, and nobody gets greedy or gives ’til it hurts. My prayer is that I will be alive to see it,.

Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, CMC, SCAC, MCC
    – cofounder of the ADD Coaching field –
    (blogging at ADDandSoMuchMore and ADDerWorld – dot com!)
    “It takes a village to transform a world!”

• brain injury self rehabilitation (BISR)

September 29, 2012 at 8:02 am

Amen! I couldn’t agree more. I hope to see it happen too! We’ll keep on educating, and if will happen.

• Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, MCC, SCAC

September 29, 2012 at 3:23 pm

WOW – you have been ALL OVER this blog recently. I am honored. I’m glad to see you liked my “composite” client story – to make the points more clearly, but also to preserve client confidentiality. It is one of my favs that has gotten little readership.

I think it makes the point most clearly that solutions are individual – that no two of us meet with success on exactly the same pathways (and frequently in completely OPPOSITE directions!)

We know this experientially, but we tend to disbelieve our own observations because “everybody” tells us “we’re not doing it right!”

That’s why I say that a primary value of professional coaching is that they are, essentially, official permission slips to DO what works in the face of the “logic” of the nay-sayers! [At least they are if they’re well trained in brain-based approaches!],

Make-wrong is TOXIC! Kate, btw, was a natural at the no make-wrong come-from – she hit the ground running with this particular skill.

AS ALWAYS, thanks for stopping by, and for taking the time to leave “tracks” so I know you, specifically, were here (comments, likes, etc.). SO appreciated to know I’m not blogging into the void 😐
        xx,
        mgh

• brain injury self rehabilitation (BISR)

September 29, 2012 at 4:34 pm

We’re all learning from you. Sometimes it’s difficult just to click from site to site and then get lost! (It happens to me and I know I’m not alone!) I know my readers have been following your comments and I highly recommend they visit your site. It would be easier if I could schedule a “reblog” for a specific date or do something to connect with yours on a specific date. You have so much to offer, and I’m thinking how this can be handled. I say that because I know some of my readers are only able to handle one post at a time. Maybe there is a way to do that with WordPress that I don’t know. There is so much I am still learning, and relearning, and relearning…but I’m still learning and that’s what’s really important. Do you know if WordPress let’s one schedule reflags?

2. Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, MCC, SCAC

September 29, 2012 at 3:27 pm

lol – above comment was in that little box that WordPress gives us to keep up with followers and blogs we follow, so I couldn’t tell that the “Kate Kelly” article on which the comments appeared was the comment thread on YOUR blog, not mine.

OF COURSE you have been all over *your* blog. 🙂 What I was TRYING to say was that you have also been all over mine – so thanks for that!

xx,
    mgh

• brain injury self rehabilitation (BISR)

September 29, 2012 at 4:36 pm

That funny! I knew exactly what you meant!LOL I’m still trying to find out where and how to insert that smiley face!

• Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, MCC, SCAC

September 30, 2012 at 1:12 am

: + ) (colon plus right parenthesis – no spaces) = “:)”

colon plus | the straight bar (shift back slant — NO spaces) makes a different expression on some (but not all blogs “:|”

colon plus shift d “D” makes a bigger smile on some blogs 😀 AND

on SOME blogs a semicolor plus D (or any of the others above) “;D” makes a sort of a wink.

#1 almost always works – let’s see if the others work on your theme.

xx,
        mgh

• brain injury self rehabilitation (BISR)

October 1, 2012 at 12:22 am

I’m giving this a try! 🙂

• Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, MCC, SCAC

September 30, 2012 at 1:15 am

I think the quotes make the smiley not work — trying below in the same order – one per line – to see if that makes a difference
        🙂
        😐
        😀
        ;]

• brain injury self rehabilitation (BISR)

October 1, 2012 at 12:24 am

Trying your directions again! I hope others are learning from this as well. 🙂 😀 D)

• Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, MCC, SCAC

September 30, 2012 at 1:24 am

Now HERE’s a good use of everybody’s time – making smiley faces ::grin:: — Last smiley directions post – it seems that you have to have TEXT (besides the simileys) for the returns to work. I put the 3 smileys in a row on 3 different lines (using colon “:” then “)” “|” and “D” with a return after each.

I’m trying the wink again, with one of the smiles that I know works – to see if you can wink over here “;” then “)”
        😉

btw – the street fair was great – but I don’t get out enough — I’m plooped OUT!
        xx,
        mgh

• brain injury self rehabilitation (BISR)

October 1, 2012 at 12:27 am

I’m trying another smiley. It’s time for sleep. Enough playtime and learning! Thanks for teaching. I don’t know why I couldn’t figure it out! 🙂 D)

• Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, MCC, SCAC

October 1, 2012 at 5:43 am

Well, DUH! I can’t imagine why ANYONE wouldn’t automatically think “colon parenthesis” would make a smiley face graphic. Sheesh – t-totally obvious! [lol]
        xx,
        mgh

3. Three Well Beings

September 30, 2012 at 12:48 am

It’s so interesting, although a little sad, that people who have devoted their work to helping others, and we know how many families are affected by ADD/ADHD, don’t achieve mass name recognition. Celebrity is bestowed on some people for the oddest reasons, but here you call attention to the important work of Kate Kelly, yet I’ve never heard of her. She obviously has pioneered in a field that is often misunderstood. Debra

• brain injury self rehabilitation (BISR)

October 1, 2012 at 12:21 am

Thanks for recognizing how Kate Kelly wasn’t recognized in the Media but she contributed significantly fighting to identify and help ADD/ADHD. I hope someday we will put more focus on the “Brain”, instead of on money!