Healthcare Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996, otherwise known as HIPAA, not HIPPA! Remember “AA” not “PP”! This is a common mistake people make, even healthcare workers.
If you have been anywhere in America’s healthcare system you sign this privacy form with all your healthcare. Do you know what you are signing? Do you really understand what HIPAA does or should do? Is it really carried out? What does it mean?
These are national standards that protects specific health information implemented in 1996. The privacy rule assures that individuals’ health information is protected, also called “protected health information”. It helps individuals’ understand and control how their health information is used. This was set to protect the public’s health and well being and allow the individuals’ health information to flow while providing quality health care.
- Individuals health information is protected
- Control how health information is used
- Protects public’s health and well-being
- Certain disclosures are necessary
- Privacy rule is flexible & comprehensive
- Entitles patient to review records and correct errors
Privacy rule protects the privacy of patients seeking care and permits important uses of information to protect the health and well-being of everyone. Certain disclosures are necessary and the privacy rule is flexible and comprehensive.
HIPAA entitles the patient to review one’s medical records and correct errors.
The following are excellent links pertaining to HIPAA. Take the time to fully understand how HIPAA works and what it should be doing. Do you think HIPAA is the same as previous confidentiality issues? What do you get out of the HIPAA of 1996?
How HIPAA harm’s patients by Kevin MD
7 tips to avoid HIPAA violations in social media
New HIPAA laws won’t enhance privacy
HIPAA violations and enforcement
How to file a complaint
Avoid violation of HIPAA laws
Examples of HIPAA violations – More lawsuits coming
- Thoughts on HIPPA by Isatou Susso (nutripsychtherapy.wordpress.com)
- HIPAA Violations – Infographic (thegypsynurse.com)
- MEDIA ALERT: Upcoming Complimentary Webinar: How to Develop Your HIPAA-HITECH Policies & Procedures (prweb.com)