RSS

Laughter as brain injury medicine … The turkey did it

07 Nov

Laughter makes healing easier.  Everyday is an adventure in this home.  Which Thanksgiving would you prefer for dinner?  This Thanksgiving was likely the first following my injury, November 1992.  Dinner was in the oven and smoke filled the house.

My husband called our local fire department.  All the smoke alarms were going off. I had no idea why the smoke alarms were going off.  My vision was always blurred and had no sense of smell.  I depended on others for my senses that were disrupted.  Our working smoke detectors were sounding a high pitch intensity. This was not a noise I could tolerate!  Noise intolerance is common in most brain injuries and decades later I still find it difficult to handle at times.

A Thanksgiving survivor

A Thanksgiving survivor (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Because of the noise I hovered in the closet covering my ears.  I have progressed a long way since that time. I forgot to take the turkey out of the package.  I was cooking the turkey with plastic and everything in it.  I did place it in a pan and put some water around the pan so it wouldn’t stick with the intent to use as gravy.

This would have been some sticky gravy made with my specialty of melted plastic wrappings!  At least it was seasoned packaging.  Don’t ask me what I was thinking.  Obviously I was oblivious to what I was doing or not doing!

I wonder why I didn’t notice that I never took a 25# turkey out of the packaging.  Maybe the flavored or seasoned plastic was appealing!  My next question is this: I can’t lift a 25# turkey so who helped me put it in the pan and into the oven?

Things we do are goofy at best!  Gosh, if only you could laugh at all these silly things we do with good intent.  Did you ever notice, the things that go wrong are the things that seem to be the most memorable events? That’s true with everyone, injury or not!

Well, I don’t have any pie on the floor stories, because I simply never baked good pies. Besides, I have a dog who would love the dessert!  That’s something I never mastered to bake, so I leave those desserts for others to bake.  My dog hides when the house fills with smoke. It’s become a regular thing over the years!

Enjoy your Thanksgiving and think about the fun things that happen, even if you think all is well at your home!  I bet you have some interesting Holiday stories to share.  What is your most memorable eventful Holiday story?

Tags: , , , ,

17 responses to “Laughter as brain injury medicine … The turkey did it

1. buckwheatsrisk

November 7, 2012 at 12:22 am

ahaha! you know actually you made me hungry! lol mine is not a holiday story but recently i had a pasta dish cooking on the stove for Hubby and he called me to come see our pet snake…25 mins. later, we smell smoke…for days after i had to scrub the pan and let it soak, add baking soda and vinegar and let it soak, scrub again… i think Hubby ended up eating sandwiches that night..

• brain injury self rehabilitation (BISR)

November 12, 2012 at 9:45 am

Oh, I get that! It’s common to be distracted by someone and if there is something on the stove I totally forget about it! With that, it reminds others but the distractions continue on. I guess that’s why I don’t cook that often! It takes total concentration and we don’t think about that because it’s suppose to be an easy task without much thought. It’s the distractions that make the difference.

• buckwheatsrisk

November 12, 2012 at 11:26 am

it is and many couldn’t understand that.

2. Kathy

November 8, 2012 at 8:35 am

This is way too funny!!! I remember cooking one of my first turkeys on my own. I’d seen other women put a partially carved turkey in the oven till a little while later when they had time to finish the job. Well, I tried doing the same thing. Differenc was they had electric stoves and mine was gas with a pilot light, soooo mine just spoiled in that short time. Ugh

3. Three Well Beings

November 10, 2012 at 12:07 am

Oh what a story, Edie! That is an interesting question…how DID you get that turkey in the oven! I don’t have a specific Thanksgiving story like you recall, but last year we had two days of Thanksgiving, 25 people both days, and our dishwasher broke. We had so much chaos. This Thanksgiving Day is particularly special to me. My dad was in very bad health earlier this year and we nearly lost him. The fact that he is here and can enjoy our table…I won’t complain about all the work! 🙂 Bless you in your efforts, too, Edie. It sounds like you’ve come a long way since the day of the Thanksgiving “turkey on fire.” 🙂

• brain injury self rehabilitation (BISR)

November 12, 2012 at 10:08 am

Debra, I’m happy to hear that your dad will be present at Thanksgiving. Nothing better than thankful for his better health! It’s amazing how the holidays can seem like chaos, and we forget about the appreciation of gatherings!

We also depend on technology and I also had my dishwasher malfunction during holidays, but that seemed to work out okay. Maybe at that time in my life others were helpful and pitched in. I’ve enjoyed so many Thanksgivings, and we can never change those beautiful memories of gatherings with those who are no longer with us! Thank God we’ve taken the opportunity to have others in our lives.

Happy Thanksgiving!
      Edie

4. Maria Rose Thomas Tatham

November 14, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Edie, Tom wanted chex-mix for Christmas. I made it according to “the special recipe”, and we were really looking forward to it – especially him. But something, I think it was a rolling pin, dropped down onto one end of the baking sheet full of cooling chex-mix and catapulted the stuff all over the room. I have no turkey story.
    :0)
    M.

• brain injury self rehabilitation (BISR)

November 16, 2012 at 8:19 am

Maria, This is funny! I could visualize this delicious chex-mix over the entire kitchen! I think I’ll do a post on these kitchen disasters! This is better than turkey stories! Blessings, Edie

• brain injury self rehabilitation (BISR)

November 17, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Maria, If you don’t mind I’ll share your funny stories in my laughter section in December. Blessings, Edie

• Maria Rose Thomas Tatham

November 17, 2012 at 4:15 pm

That would be fine. Fun!
        I forgot to say that some of the chex mix hit the wall, dropped down, and ended up in Tom’s shoes, which he’d taken off and set near the wall.
        This is a true story.

• brain injury self rehabilitation (BISR)

November 19, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I love it! I think I scheduled the post for middle of December and I did add this! I’m still laughing, and next time I make chex-mix I’ll put my shoes away and be ready for anything!

• Maria Rose Thomas Tatham

November 19, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Yes, you’d better put your shoes away – oh, but not in the oven.

5. Maria Rose Thomas Tatham

November 14, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Just one other stupidly funny cooking story. When I was young and foolish, I liked to make fancy dishes, and so I decided to try to make sauerbraten (spelling?), which is pot roast marinated/pickled first. Well the pot roast pickled in the frig for three days. I cooked it, and we ate it, but we smelled kind of funny I think, kind of pickled ourselves.
    Glad to be back here!
    Wonderful job!
    Be careful with your next turkey!
    M.